I have this thing where as the seasons change, I start to think back about where I was and what I was experiencing this time last year. So floods of things came back to me that are associated with last year’s Big Exit. So much change, so much out of our hands, so many emotions, blown transmissions, sweet adjustment period in Santa Fe, the heat of Moab, the relief of making it to Boise, time with family after the isolation of covid. And as close as all those experiences still feel, the multitude of places, emotions, and experiences since then make me realize how distant it really is. Living deeply in the moments we’ve had over the last year has been richer than skimming through life via a fast pace, one speed tunnel. I’m so grateful our time is not yet up.
We collected some of our favorites at the six month mark, so what you see below is more representative of the most recent six months.
- Favorite Campgrounds: Edisto Island State Park (SC), Cedar Pass Campground (Badlands), Colter Bay Campground (Tetons), Madison Campground (Yellowstone)
- Favorite Boondocking Spots: Upper Teton View, Steckler Grassfed Farms via Harvest Host, Driveways across SC, NC, and VA
- Favorite RV Parks: Campfire Lodgings (Asheville, NC), Indian Creek Campground (Cherokee, NC), Bozeman Hot Springs (kids pick!)
- Favorite Restaurants: Teton Tiger (Jackson), Chai Pani (Asheville), Burger Dock (Sandpoint), Grey Market (Savannah), Sweet Peaks Ice Cream (Bozeman, Missoula, Whitefish)
- Favorite Breweries: Burial Beer (Asheville), Mountains Walking (Bozeman), Potter’s Craft Cider (Charlottesville), Urban Chestnut Brewing (St. Louis)
- Favorite Activities: Horseback riding in Custer State Park, Fishing in Yellowstone, kayaking in Jackson Lake and String Lake in the Tetons, paddle boarding on Lake McDonald in Glacier, Biking the Route of the Hiawatha, Hiking Cathedral Spires in Custer State Park, Botany Bay Ecotour in Edisto Island, hiking with friends all over Glacier, and some kiddo honorable mentions include: Bumper boats at the Amazing Fun Place in West Glacier for Townes’ birthday, mining at Bozeman Hot Springs, rock climbing in Custer State Park
- Some random, pleasant surprises: Valle Crucis, NC, the Needle Highway drive in Custer State Park, campground rock scramble in Badlands, fishing in Cherokee, Day in Cataloochee (Great Smokies), and all the unplanned, unexpected run-ins with friends
You can find our favorites from the first six months here.