Somewhere in Florida, we passed our 6 month anniversary of living on the road. In honor of the milestone, we chatted over dinner about some of our favorite memories. Without all the personal stories that go with these places, interesting nature found and knowledge deepened, and simply the vibes or warm fuzzies that came with some of these stops, here’s the more quick and dirty of our top picks thus far. In a world where two weeks in the Keys can feel like 3 months, it feels hard to wrap my head around just how much we’ve seen and done in the last 6 months.
- Favorite Campground: Curry Hammock State Park in the Florida Keys (Molly/Joe), Black Canyon Campground in Santa Fe (Townes); Honorable Mentions: Collegiate Peaks in Buena Vista, CO, Fort De Soto in St. Petersburg, FL, Grayton Beach State Park along 30-A, FL, Difficult Campground in Aspen
- Favorite Boondocking Spot: Lizard Head Pass in the San Juan Mountains, CO (Molly/Joe/Bess), “outside of Bend” (Bess), alley in Nashville (Townes)
- Favorite RV Park: Dolores River Campground in Dolores, CO (Molly/Joe), Tiger Run (Bess), Sunshine Key (Townes); Honorable Mention: YMCA of the Rockies, Jekyll Island Campground
- Favorite Restaurant: James Ranch in Durango, CO (Molly/Guy/Joe), The Hukilau in Florence, OR (Townes), the pizza we had at Alafair’s house in Santa Fe (Bess); Honorable Mention: the Secret Stash in Crested Butte
- Favorite Brewery/Beer: Crux Fermentation Project in Bend, OR, Yachats Brewing in Yachats, OR, Jug and Bottle in Tampa, Three Sisters IPA, OR (Joe), Hop Kid IPA, CO (Molly)
- Favorite Activity: Fishing trip in the Keys (Townes/Joe), Kayak trip to Conch Key (Bess), Moraine Park fishing/wading with the elk (Molly), mountain biking in Crested Butte (Joe), Cumberland Island (Molly), hiking Maroon Bells; Honorable Mention: horseback riding on Jekyll Island, Anhinga Trail in the Everglades, pump tracks in Breckenridge and Crested Butte, hike to Bridal Veil Falls in Telluride, gondola riding in Telluride, beach days at Fort De Soto (St. Petersburg) and Fort Zachary Taylor SP (Key West)
- Favorite Playgrounds: The Gathering Place (Tulsa), YMCA Snow Mountain Ranch (Winter Park) and its zip line, Fort De Soto (St. Petersburg) and its elevator, St. Augustine
- Some random pleasant surprises: birding, the Great Salt Lake, the Salmon River and Sawtooths, the Oregon coast, Miami, cast netting in Georgia, Flamingo Campground in the Everglades, Christmas lights in Jekyll, family and friends…so many friends, new and old.
One thought on “Favorites: 6 months”